Hi! I’m Emily, a freelance artist and designer who helps small businesses, nonprofits, and individuals succeed using identity, web, and print design. Whether I’m helping a client set up and manage their own web presence, creating print collateral, or even painting the occasional mural, I love using my design eye and fine art skills together to exceed expectations of what a designer can do.
I was born and raised in Alaska, earned a B.S. in Human Physiology and chemistry from the Clark Honors College at the University of Oregon, and studied art and design at the University of Alaska, Anchorage, in addition to creating art for solo and group exhibitions, small businesses & non-profit organizations. I’ve also worked as an in-house senior graphic designer for The Alaska Club in Anchorage, Alaska, a farmer, a lighthouse docent, and many more enlightening occupations that inform my work.
Bunnell Street Arts Center, Homer, AK, ongoing work available for purchase. More at bunnellarts.org.
Tiny Gallery, downtown Anchorage, AK, ongoing work for sale. More at tinygalleryak.com.
“Creatively omnivorous, I have devoured any and all books, art, and science that I could find and made objects from that inspiration since childhood. I’m also my parent’s daughter: my dad’s a farmer who works harder than anyone I know to build his dreams, and my mom treats her hobbies as professionally as her work as a nurse. They taught me everything they know, as well as how to assimilate new tools and media that I encounter. While I’ve studied ceramics, printmaking, and design, I’m happiest when combining past experience with a new medium or technology. I find joy in the process of making. My laser-cut wood works often employ the patterns, repetition, and fragility that I find in my inner and outer landscapes.”
Portfolios, Resume & CV
For PDF portfolios, please contact me using the form below.
- “Collages,” International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Anchorage, AK, November 2021
- “All-Alaska Biennial,” Anchorage Museum, Anchorage, AK, 2020-2021
- 100×100, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Anchorage, AK, December 2020
- 10×10, Bunnell Street Gallery, Homer, AK, 2019
- Book Club, A Buncha Book Artists annual show, Harry Wood Gallery, ASU, Oct. 7-25, 2019
- Wild Designs, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA, May 26, 2018 – August 4, 2019
- A Buncha Book Artists Member Show: Bookish, Harry Wood Gallery, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, Sep. 4-15, 2017.
- Biomimicry: Design Inspired by Nature, curated group show, Tempe Center for the Arts, Tempe, AZ, May 19-August 26, 2017.
- Rhetorical Galleries container show with Bill Jamison and Adam A. Montoya, Phoenix, AZ, June 2, 2017.
- From Thin AiR II, Vision Gallery, Chandler, AZ, May 25-June 2, 2017.
- Volunteer designer, Palmer Museum Garden and Art Festival, downtown Palmer, Alaska, 10am-6pm, July 8, 2017.
- Hygroscopic/Gyroscopic, sculpture on view at Chandler Fashion Center, Chandler, Arizona, 2015-2016
- Working Title, A Buncha Book Artists group show at the Phoenix Public Library’s Rare Book Room, February 5-March 25, 2017
- IGCA Members Show, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Anchorage, Alaska, January 6-30, 2017
- Phoenix Nasty Woman, Grand ArtHaus, 1501 S. Grand Ave, Phoenix, Arizona, January 14-20, 2017
- Knitting Women, Fine Art Complex, 1101 West University Dr. Unit #103, Tempe, Arizona, January 20, 2017
- 10×10 members show, Bunnell Street Gallery, Homer, Alaska, November 18-December 16, 2016
- “Waste Not” wearable art and costume show, Bunnell Street Arts Center, Homer, AK, October 2016
- “From Thin A.I.R.: Artists in Residence at TechShop Chandler,” Vision Gallery, May 5-12, 2016
- Selected exhibitor, 37th Annual Contemporary Crafts Show, Mesa Center for the Arts, Mesa, Arizona. February 12-April 24, 2016
- Selected exhibitor, All Alaska Biennial, Anchorage Museum, Anchorage, Alaska. February 5-April 10, 2016
- All Alaska Biennial, Bear Gallery, Fairbanks, Alaska, May 6-28, 2016
- 10×10 members show, Bunnell Street Gallery, November 20, 2015, in Homer, Alaska
- ABBA Annual Members Show, Oct. 5-23, 2014, Harry Wood Gallery, Arizona State University School of Art, Tempe, Arizona
- My Mother group exhibition at the International Gallery of Contemporary Art.On view September 4-26, 2015
- Exhibitor, Sewing departments, Alaska State Fair, August 27-September 7, Palmer, Alaska
- Artist in Residence Showcase, TechShop Chandler, Chandler, Arizona, June 6, 2015
- 10×10 members show, Bunnell Street Gallery, opens November 17, 2014, in Homer, Alaska
- STRAT-O-GRAPHIC, Charting, layering, and revealing the artist’s book, TBA, Vermont
- Booth at Christmas Arts & Crafts Emporium, November 22-23, Dena’ina Center, Anchorage, Alaska
- STRAT-O-GRAPHIC, Charting, layering, and revealing the artist’s book, ABBA Annual Members Show, Oct. 27-Nov. 7, 2014, Harry Wood Gallery, Arizona State University School of Art, Tempe, Arizona
- Exhibitor, Sewing department, Alaska State Fair, August-September 2014 in Palmer, Alaska
- Bishop’s Attic mural, June 2014, 840 S Bailey St, Palmer, Alaska.
- OBJECT RUNWAY at the International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Friday, February 7, 2014. Opening reception at 5:30 p.m.
- Exhibitor, Sewing department, Alaska State Fair, August 22-September 2, 2013 in Palmer, Alaska
- “Bringin’ It Home” community mural project, Palmer Midsummer Garden and Art Faire, July 13, 2013, in Palmer, Alaska
- “C-4 – Ceramic,” a group show at the International Gallery of Contemporary Art, April 5 – 27, 2013, in Anchorage, Alaska. Opening reception on April 5, 2013 from 5:30-7:30 PM
- “Monoprint Mandalas,” monotype prints at Midnight Sun Yoga Studio, April 13, 2013, in Palmer, Alaska. Part of the downtown Palmer Second Saturday Art Walk.
- Who Let the Girls Out, Fancy hat workshop as part of the Garden Party at Rusty’s, April 27, 2013, in Palmer, Alaska
- The Handbag Show at the Hugi-Lewis Gallery, May 3 – 29, 2013, in Anchorage, Alaska. Opening reception and fashion show on May 3, 2013.
- BIG POTS on display at the Blue Hollomon Gallery, Anchorage, AK
- “Net~Works”, shown at the Bunnell Street Gallery, March 1, 2013, in Homer, Alaska.
Professional development, TechShop Chandler, 2014-2017
Technologies: laser cutting, etching, engraving with rotary attachment; CNC long arm HD Avante 18 quilter, FlowJet 60,000 PSI waterjet, Lincoln 50-ton ironworker, Juki industrial straight stitch, Juki industrial walking foot, Juki industrial serger, Janome embroiderer, Janome serger, Babylock serger, Janome multi-stitch sewing machine, basic soldering, powder coating, cold saw, horizontal band saw, vertical band saw, finger break, turret punch, hydraulic tubing bender, shear, Beverly shear, panel saw, oscillating spindle sander, belt sander, disc sander, sand blaster/sand blasting, Saw Stop table saw, basic soldering and electronics, blacksmithing.
Post-baccalaureate courses, University of Alaska, Anchorage, 2008-2013
Focus: fine art, including design, printmaking, ceramics, and drawing; natural resources/bioenergy
Bachelor of Science, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, March 2007
Major: Human Physiology
Minors: Clark Honors College and Chemistry; GPA: 3.61
Academic Honors: Dean’s List (2 terms)
Leadership positions: Honors Halls Advisory Board, Residence Life, Clark Honors College Student Association, Asklepiads Pre-Medical Society, swimming and women’s Ultimate Frisbee club sports team member
Additional courses: glassblowing, First Aid, CPR/AED, trampoline, yoga, judo
High school diploma, Chugiak High School, Eagle River, AK, June 2003
Advanced Placement courses: Literature, US Government, World Government, Calculus
Activities: Letter athlete and team captain in swimming, cross-country skiing, and track and field
Rotary Youth Exchange student in Johannesburg, South Africa from July 2011-July 2012
Additional courses: Emergency Trauma Technician
Freelance Designer, ongoing
TechShop Instructor, November 2015 – June 2017
HQ18 Avante CNC Long Arm Quilter, Art & Stitch software, ProStitcher software, safety and basic use instructor. Logo design, coptic bookbinding and Sonobe origami workshop instructor, TechShop Chandler, Chandler, Arizona. 2015
Graphic Designer, The Alaska Club, Anchorage, AK, Sept. 2013 – June 2014
Integrating in-house client and business patron feedback into programming and communication media
Creating web and print materials using Hubspot COS, large-format printing, and local print vendors
Manager, Mat-Su Nutrition Counseling, Palmer, AK, July 2013 – Sept. 2013
Managed insurance billing, finances, customer service, marketing, and daily operations in main office
Created print and web content for Dietitian Today
Graphic designer & project manager, Out of a Jam Solutions, Palmer, AK, Sept. 1, 2012 – June 15, 2013
Managed finances, customer service, marketing, and daily operations in main office
Created print and web content for corporate, small business, non-profit, and individual clients
Executive Assistant, Alaska Farmland Trust, September 2011 – February 2012
Assisted director with community outreach, nonprofit bookkeeping, and publications
Manager, Country Garden Farms, Palmer, June 2003 – July 2011
Managed operations, customer service, sales, product shipping, development of new services, and accounting
Maintained company website, bookkeeping, and sales office
Supervised and scheduled summer staff of 13
Developed statewide workshops and programs for improved marketing and local production of native plants in conjunction with public and private stakeholders
Applied Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, TurboTax, Web & social networking skills
Point Bonita Lighthouse intern, National Park Service, Sausalito, CA, Nov. 2008-Mar. 2009
Assisted with visitor center operations, park educational programs and tours, and volunteers-in-parks in conjunction with park rangers, staff, exhibiting artists, and community members
Senior Bookseller, Title Wave Books, Anchorage, March-Sept. 2008
Displayed and retailed new and used books, music, and gifts
Utilized databases and point-of-sale software to maintain inventory and register sales, assist local and international customers, and anticipate industry trends
Customer Service Specialist, University of Oregon Scheduling & Event Services, Sept. 2005-March 2007
Worked with students, faculty, and staff to schedule and coordinate non-academic events
Trained new employees in use of scheduling software and University policy and procedures
Resident assistant, University of Oregon Housing, Sept. 2004-June 2005
Advised 65 first-year students and residents in a housing unit of 750
Planned, publicized, and executed academic and social events
Collaborated with complex director, 10 student staff, faculty, and police to ensure campus health and safety
Palmer Midsummer Garden & Art Faire – graphic design services, 2013-ongoing
Southwest Maker Fest – graphic design services, 2016-ongoing
Alaska Cat & Dog Rescue – foster cats, 2021-ongoing
TechShop Chandler – donated graphic design and instruction, 2014-2017
Palmer Museum of History and Art – donated graphic design services, 2010-ongoing
Envision Mat-Su, Palmer, AK—donated graphic design services, 2012-2013
Why Not Tri, Wasilla, AK – participant, 2012, 2013
Beans Café, Anchorage, AK – Bowls for Beans fundraiser, 2010, 2012
Clay Body, Student Life, University of Alaska, Anchorage, 2009-2012
Print Club, Student Life, University of Alaska, Anchorage, 2012
Alaska Farmland Trust, Palmer, AK – graphic design and event services, 2011-ongoing
Alaska State Fair, Palmer, AK – Giant Cabbage Weigh-Off, Taste of Alaska Challenge, Sewing judge and exhibitor, 2011-ongoing
Blood Bank of Alaska, Anchorage, AK – HERO donor, 2003-current
Friday Fling, Palmer, AK – Web design, logo development, and graphic design
Alaska Sewlutions, Palmer, AK – Alaska State Fair exhibition, 2010-ongoing
Gold Nugget Triathlon, Anchorage, AK – volunteer & participant, 2003-ongoing
Headlands Institute, Sausalito, CA – education support for science charter school students & volunteers, 2010
Marin Headlands Native Plant Nursery, Sausalito, CA – cultivation, planting, & volunteer support, 2009-2010
Redwood Creek Native Plant Nursery, Sausalito, CA – cultivation, planting, & volunteer support, 2009-2010
SAVE Recycling Program, Helena, MT – plastic recycling drive, 2009
Sacred Heart Medical Center, Eugene, OR – staff support, 2005-2007
Intramural sports athletic training program, Eugene, OR – first responder, 2007
HIV Alliance, Eugene, OR – outreach with Sana Needle Exchange, 2006
Food for Lane County, Eugene, OR, 2006-2007
Honors College Student Association, Clark Honors College, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 2003-2007
Honors Hall Advisory Board, Residence Life, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 2003-2006
Rotary Youth Exchange, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2001-2002
ALPAR, Spring Clean Up, Anchorage, AK, 1990-2003
Get In Touch
Let's Work Together!
Call & Text